Saturday, March 10, 2007

Video Game Nostalgia

As I'm packing up and getting ready to move in a few weeks, I've been deciding what I really need to keep and what I don't. I've always been a big fan of the "if you don't need it, get rid of it" attitude. Some people believe in keeping everything, but I think that if you're not using something or don't really ever plan to, you should get rid of it.

In doing a run through of what I want to get rid of, I decided that I'd sell all of my old Xbox games that I don't (or can't) play on my Xbox 360 any more. As I was listing them on Yahoo Auctions, I found myself feeling a little nostalgic about certain games. They had memories attached to them that I somehow felt I was selling away. That and some games I never got a chance to play because I gave my Xbox away when I bought my 360 and certain games have just never been made compatible with the 360.

For example, I listed Unreal Championship 2 with some real pangs of guilt. It was a great game that I never got to play as much as I wished I could have. It was also a gift from a close friend so it's kind of hard seeing it listed for sale, but the truth is I haven't been able to play it and probably won't be able to.

I'm a little bit mad that I have to sell Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects. I bought this game only a few days before I gave my Xbox away without realizing that it wasn't compatible with the 360. I've never actually gotten a chance to play it. Ever. And I really wanted to, despite the somewhat mediocre reviews.

Another game that falls into that category is Mech Assault 2. I loved the first, bought the second but didn't get around to playing it right away, and now I'm kind of mad I didn't. I just didn't have the time at the time.

There are many others that I'm selling that I hate to part with, but since the Xbox 360 team hasn't created emulation for them yet and I don't own an Xbox, I'm not going to get to play them. And I also have plenty of 360 games that are on my list to play in the all to infrequent free time I have. I'm only now making good progress into F.E.A.R. After that Prey and Call of Duty 3 are on my "to play" list.

I, again, feel like I'm somehow making another grown up step by admitting to myself that I don't have as much time to play video games any more. It had to happen eventually, didn't it?

No comments: