Thursday, June 14, 2007

Silva? Shutout? Really?

Wednesday nights during the summer are Twins nights for me... well, when they have home games... and when they're not in the afternoon. So really, about 8 Wednesdays during the entire year are Twins nights for me, but anyways. I go to Twins games on Wednesday nights because you can get tickets for $4 with a student ID (still got mine) and Dome Dogs are $1 a piece. It's not often I can have a night out at a baseball game, with food, for less than a 10 spot.

Last night the Twinkies were playing one of my favorite teams growing up (don't ask why or how because I can't really answer either myself), the Atlanta Braves. I figured we'd end up getting blown out with Carlos Silva pitching. With an ERA of over 4.00 and a 4-7 record on the year, he's note exactly Cy Young caliber.

Now imagine how shocked I was when, at the middle of the 9th inning, Silva throws his final pitch, which ended up being a fly out, to finish a complete game shutout. It was one of the best games I've been to in a while. Not only was there a complete game shutout, but there was plenty of drunk, college kids in my section heckling and fighting with the few Braves' fans.

What's really amazing, though, is that this was somehow Silva's second career shutout. Whoa.

No comments: