Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Lazy Skyway Walkers

The skyways in Minneapolis are pretty awesome, don't get me wrong, but I get more and more annoyed by the complete laziness and inconsiderateness of many of the people roaming the skyways.

Lately I've been noticing more and more people not wanting to actually open a door. See, as you go from building to building, there are often doors, automatic or manual, that isolate the skyways so that buildings don't bleed off too much heat or cold into the actual skyway. For all of the manual doors (you know, the ones you actually use your hands to push open) they have to be equipped with a handicapped function that opens them when you click the handicap button. It's great that the skyways are totally handicap accessible, but there are way too many normal, lazy people that use the handicap button because they're just too damn lazy to push open a door.

What's even more interesting is that often the buttons are along the outside walls so people have to walk over to them to push them then, in most cases, when they walk up to the door it is still in the process of slowly opening so they have to wait a second or two for it to open. Are we really that freakin' lazy that we can't push a door open on a walk between buildings? There's lazy and there's lazy. This is supremely lazy. Sure, if your hands are full and you're carrying stuff I can see you using it, but there are so many normal people, not carrying anything, that are just incapable of pushing open a door... and it pisses me off. When did people start to think they were too good to open a door?

Then you have the inconsiderate, oblivious, slow walkers. They usually walk in groups of 2 or 3 and take up the entire skyway and walk at half a normal person's pace or slower. It sucks when I'm trying to catch a bus and these people are taking up the hallway, not being considerate enough to let others by, and often walking with plenty of space between them so that it seems like they are purposely trying to annoy everyone.

What really gets me is when I speak up and say, "Excuse me," as I squeeze by them. Usually I'll get dirty looks like I just flicked them off or something. Get out the way, slow-asses. I could just plow by you, but at least I try to be polite even though you aren't.

It's like people just don't realize there are other people in the world besides themselves. It's sad, really.

No comments: