Wednesday, April 23, 2008

My Stimulus Check

The stimulus checks will start being sent our way starting in May. I'm one of the first batch to receive my $600 and it should be direct deposited the week of May 2nd. I haven't really thought about what I was going to do with it since $600 doesn't seem like that much money. Now don't go and rail on me for thinking that it isn't a lot of money. Comparatively speaking, it isn't a whole lot. I received my tax refund last month and it dwarfed the stimulus check that'll be heading my way so I was more concerned with how to use that.

What I did do with my tax refund was invest in a couple of stocks and pad some of my mutual funds. I don't need to spend it right now, so why should I? I know that the government would love for me to take my $600 and go blow it on a new TV or a video camera or a nice dinner or a vacation or some other materialistic thing so that the money is pumped back into the economy. I just don't have a desire for any of those things, though, so I'll probably just use it to pad my mutual funds a little further.

I have considered using it to buy a bike since I don't have one and would like to have one so that I'm not reliant on my car to get me to places that aren't too far away, but I wouldn't spend the whole sum on a bike anyways. I can't imagine spending over $300 on a bike. I'm not a person who is going to do bike races or anything like that. I just want something decent that will hold up and get me from point A to point B, and that can also be used for a biking workout every now and again when I'm not running.

Anyhow, what I was trying to get at is that it seems odd to have a sum of cash getting sent my way and not wanting to immediately spend it on something frivolous. I know if I were 5 years younger I'd totally have it blown before it arrived, but now I don't feel that strong materialistic urge to spend, spend, spend on crap I don't need. The few things that come to mind that I want outside of a bike is a water softener for the house (which is increasing the value of the home so it isn't really money that is leaving my possession), saving it for some new cabinets in the kitchen, or putting it away for when my car eventually dies and I need to get a new one.

It's a nice "gift" from the government, but I'm not going to spend it how they want it, unfortunately, and I'm assuming most other people aren't going to either. Maybe not because they don't want to, but because they can't with mounting bills and a rising cost of living. So anyone have any big plans for their stimulus checks?

No comments: