Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Gutter Work

Over the weekend my parents came up to visit and while they were up my dad and me took the time to put up gutters on my garage (since there weren't any on it when I bought my place). It went pretty smoothly except for the fact that Menards was out of left end caps so there is still one thing that needs to get done, but otherwise it's pretty much done. While we were at it, though, we decided to do some work on the gutters that were on my house since they looked to be sagging a bit and I'm glad we did since they definitely needed the work.

I don't know how many people have actually taken the time to clean out the gutters in your house, but if you let it go long enough, there gets to be some wonderfully rancid crap in the bottom of them. I don't know when the gutters on my place were last cleaned, but I'm going to guess it had been a while. At the bottom of each of them was about an inch or two of black, rancid, mushy crap. To top it off it smelled like a horrible combination of dead fish and hog manure. It was nasty, but me and my dad dug right in and cleaned all that crap out with our own four hands. Yum yum.

It felt good to get everything cleaned out, though, and hopefully I won't have to do it again for quite a while. It just seems like there is a never ending stream of home improvement projects that keep coming up and sapping my wallet. For 40 feet of gutter materials it was like $150... and that was for the relatively cheap gutters!

No comments: