Monday, August 05, 2002

Way Too Soon

Friday, we had a great improv show. We didn’t sell out which was unfortunate, but I think we had a spectacular performance. I honestly think that, performance-wise, it was one of my best shows, personally. I felt on the whole night. I was also happy that my pastor finally made it to a show along with two friends from high school, Mike & Mike. It was good to see those two again. Karl and I also had one of our friends from college, Nikki, come down for the show. She also brought with her a friend, Kate, to watch our show. It was amazing, as usual, that all of the guys in our group started hitting on both of the girls once they noted they were new. We must have the most girl crazy improv group on the planet.

After the show, we all went to Applebee’s for some late supper. Good times were had by all, and then Karl, Nikki, Kate, and I went back to Karl’s house to spend the night. We had a great time just hanging out in the hot tub and chilling in the basement. Here’s what was the interesting thing of the night, though. Kate, Nikki’s friend, had just graduated high school and was only 19. Perfectly normal, except that she had an engagement ring on her finger. She had been dating a guy for about a year and was now engaged as she headed off to college. I couldn’t imagine heading off to college already being engaged to someone. It just seems so different. I think it would be really hard to take in the whole college experience, but if she knows that he is the man for her, that’s great and amazing at the same time. I hope that I’ll have that type of confidence in the woman I eventually come to be engaged to (assuming I manage to get a date before I’m 30). I’m pretty sure I’ll have to be dating her for a little more than a year, though.

Saturday I had the house to myself and spent the day mowing the lawn and then actually taking some time to play video games (I haven’t done that in so long). I actually love Warrior Kings a lot and am quite glad that I picked it up. I usually can’t stand RTS games, but this one I really enjoy. Maybe it’s the fact that I’m in control of massive amounts of personnel in a huge army. It reminds me a lot of Myth on a much more grand scale. I recommend it to anyone who likes RTS games.

I also managed to have some time to watch Harry Potter & the Sorcerer’s Stone. I thought I better eventually give it a watch considering all the hype that was behind it. I love fantasy settings so I was expecting this movie to be really good considering that everyone said it was. Unfortunately, I didn’t think it was that great of a movie. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t that great either. Plot holes abounded, characters seemed one-sided, and the movie wasn’t very epic like most fantasy movies are. It was a decent way to spend 2 and a half hours but I could also think of better things to do. Maybe if I was twelve and watching this movie I might enjoy it more, but as it stands I wasn’t impressed.

Sunday my family got back from their vacation to South Dakota that they took. They had a fun time, from the way it sounded. My brother, Randy, got a new remote controlled car that we chased the dog with for a while. I really want to steal it from him and take it to college for a week. The only bad thing about it is that the battery only lasts for like 15 minutes, but the upside is he has a charger that you hook up to a car battery (or any DC battery for that matter) and it charges the battery in like 20 minutes. With the home charger that came with it, it takes 5 hours for the battery to charge.

It was good to have the family back around the house, even though it meant I had to give up the peace and quiet I’ve had over the last 10 days. I think it’s an ok trade-off in my book. Welcome back family, I missed ya.

No comments: