Tuesday, October 08, 2002

Back and Well Rested

It’s amazing how you can have big plans to do things for a weekend, and somehow you just end up doing none of them. I really didn’t do much of anything this last weekend. It was our long weekend break so I had Friday and Monday off, which was nice. For the most part, though, the weekend was pretty low-key.

Thursday night Anne, Pat, and myself arrived back in Rochester at about 7:30 pm. We dropped Pat off and then Anne and I headed to have dinner at Fiesta Mexicana. Turns out that they closed on Sunday, so we just got there in time (only three days before they closed). Mmmm…I love eating at Fiesta…such good food. The only thing that could have made it more tasty would to have gotten my meal paid for, but you can’t have everything ;-)

Friday, I did a lot of sitting around and doing nothing. Watched some old episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation just for old times sake. I also baked some home-made chocolate cookies all the way from scratch for my family. They enjoyed them so much that they ate all of them by Sunday afternoon! I’ll just have to make them another bunch and take them home. They’d probably enjoy that. I also cooked steaks and hash browns for supper that night. If I accomplished any one thing this weekend, it would have to be that I cooked a lot for my family. I’m just going to lay this out on the table and say right now that whoever I marry is never going to have to cook because I just love to when I have the time! After supper I contemplated going back to my high school’s homecoming game, but instead I stayed home and chilled with my parents since we don’t get to see each other much with me 175 miles away most of the year.

Saturday consisted of me doing a lot more of nothing punctuated by small intervals of somethings. I had to take my little bro Ryan into Austin for him to get his hair cut. I managed to pick up some new shoes while I was waiting for him. I got a new pair of Aasics for running and a pair of shiny Nike tuned air shoes that look like they are made of chrome to use for indoor disc season when it starts (which shouldn’t be too long now, considering we live here in Minnesota). A good portion of the afternoon was spent out on the four wheeler riding through some of our fields. It had rained a good two inches the night before so the amount of mud and water standing in the fields made for some fun riding. I was black with mud from head to toe when I came in. It was such a fun time! I only wish more people appreciated the fine art of riding a small, four-wheeled vehicles through mud and water in order to cover yourself in dirt.

Sunday I went to church in the morning and then Anne came to visit in the afternoon/evening. Her first words when she got to my place: “Did you know you live in the middle of absolutely nowhere?” See, no one really ever really realizes that I do live in the ass-crack of nowhere until they actually have to come visit. I tried to convince Anne to come out and appreciate the joy of four-wheeling, but she didn’t seem to keen on the idea so we spent most of the time conversing with my parents, me showing her around our place, and cooking (well, I cooked at least). We had a feast of spaghetti, home-made sauce, and garlic bread that got a little crunchy—oops.

Monday morning I got up, cooked my family some brownies, grabbed Karl & Anne from Rochester, and headed back to SJU (and CSB for Anne). We got back and I unpacked and relaxed while watching some MST3K with Karl, The Gunslinger to be exact. Great MST3K episode, one of the better ones I’ve seen in a while. Then we also watched Death to Smoochy a little bit later because we were still bored. Now it’s back to the school grind. Fun.

No comments: