Monday, April 07, 2003

More Food Stolen

I found out that even more food was taken from our place yesterday morning. Karl also had a case of Gatorade taken to add to our running total of missing groceries. How do you deal with a crime like this? Do I go over to the neighbor’s places and check their freezers and pantries? What if they eat the same type of food as us? What if they do have our food, then what do we do? Do I just take it right back, being a thief in my own right (even though it seems justified)? Do I try to turn them in and get it back? They could just say they bought it and it is coincidence that we have the same tastes. I just don’t know what to do.

I alerted our faculty resident and life safety about the theft, but I’m sure nothing will actually be done to deter it from happening again. Sending out an email saying that food was stolen and that we should keep our doors locked is not taking measures against theft—it’s a cop-out to keep from actually doing something. Two years ago when I actually did have something valuable stolen (my bike), I also alerted life safety thinking that they would be able to do something about it. I was so unbelievably wrong. The life safety officers that I talked to then said that all they could or would do was when they were out on patrol (probably giving parking tickets) they could look for a bike that looked like mine and then would alert me to it. They wouldn’t take any action besides letting me know they saw a bike like mine! In fact, they didn’t even do that because someone in Flynntown had it that entire winter right outside of their apartment. It was there for a solid couple of months and life safety would always patrol down there. I am still frustrated from that experience and I am sure that it will be the same this time. They’ll log a report and file it away before they head back out to give out some more parking tickets.

On a positive note, I would like to send out a big birthday wish to my mommy! HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY! It’s hard to imagine that you’re hitting the big 43, as I know I’ll be there before I want to. I hope that you have a wonderful day today and I will try to talk to you sometime. Can’t wait to see you next weekend. Enjoy!

No comments: