Monday, June 09, 2003

Ryan's Confirmation Bash

Friday was the first Strike Team Improv show of the year and while we had a great show, performance-wise, we had a small crowd of only about 75. Our venue can hold 120 and we usually sold out our shows last year, so it was a little different coming out to see open seats in the audience. The difference this year, I think, is that we haven’t done any advertising and our show was also the same night as graduations for both Century and Mayo high schools (2 out of the big 3 high schools in Rochester). We were still glad to see as many familiar faces there as we did.

Jeff, Nikki, and Kristin Hunter were down to watch the show (thanks again for making the trip) so afterwards we went out to TGI Friday’s for a late supper. It was good to hang out again since we haven’t really seen much of each other at all over the course of the summer. It’s too bad they couldn’t have all spent the weekend down here in Roch, but even though I only saw them for a few hours, it was still good to see them.

Saturday I had planned on sleeping in as I had been not getting much sleep during the week, but I was awoken by Chris to go garage sale shopping in Hayfield. We try to do this every year and find random junk. This year I ended up coming home with 2 bikes and neither of them cost me a single penny. They were both free. Chris and I rode them around town for a while, even in spite of their tires being a tad bit flat. We also found some random old Hayfield jerseys and odd stuff. I wish I would have had my camera with because there were some really weird things for sale at a lot of these sales.

Most of the rest of Saturday was spent cleaning the house for Ryan’s confirmation on Sunday and playing Bocce ball with Randy and my dad. Turns out that my dad frickin’ rocks at playing Bocce as he thoroughly beat the crap out of us at it. I’d been wanting a Bocce set for a while now and my mom, being the wonderful person she is, picked up a nice set the last time she was in town. The only thing, though, with playing at our house is that we have to avoid all of the gravel areas of our yard. Later that night Chris came back over and watched a movie with Randy and I. Ah, that topped off that evening.

Sunday was Ryan’s big day—his confirmation. We had the confirmation church service in the morning, which clocked in at a little over an hour and 45 minutes (give or take 15 minutes as I wasn’t paying the closest attention to my watch). Afterwards we had a party for Ryan at our house which consisted of lots of relatives coming over to eat and talk while I played a lot of table soccer and bocce. My uncles Dave and Jim managed to trounce me and my cousin, Lance, at table soccer, but I was unbeaten at bocce. We had a little bit of a competition going on throughout the day.

As the day started waning away, I went for a bike ride on one of my new bikes to make sure it was usable for distances longer than a couple hundred meters. It held up nicely, but I need to oil the chain and raise the seat some. After that’s done I’ll have a great bike to ride, and best of all, it was free!

No comments: