Wednesday, August 27, 2003

My Final Semester Starts Here

It’s been quite an interesting start to this school year. Classes haven’t even started yet and we’ve had guests sleeping (passing out) on our couches and a bunch of DDR playing. I can see with the return of the DDR pads and a new version of the game this could again turn our apartment into a hub of activity this semester. I would actually enjoy that again this year. Second semester last year it was odd to not really have many people visiting, and if they did it was individually or in small groups. I sometimes like having a large conglomeration of people over visiting. Let’s just pray that nothing happens to the DDR pads this year.

Anyhow, class starts today and I am still unsure about how much I’m going to like the schedule I have set up for this, my last semester. Anyone who goes/went to SJU or CSB knows about our wanky six day schedule. With our six day cycle one week Monday would be day one, Tuesday day two, on down to Friday which would be day five. Then on the following Monday it would be a day six and Tuesday would start over at day one. It can get confusing if you have labs, but I actually like it. My odd days I work at the prep school from 7:30 to 10:30 am and then I have class at CSB from 11:20 am to 12:30 pm. On even days I have to work from 7:30 to 9:30 am and then I have class at SJU at 9:40 to 10:50 am, then I get to eat and trek over to CSB for class at 1:00 to 2:10 pm and then quickly come back to SJU for class at 2:40 until 3:50 pm. I don’t really like having to travel back and forth between campuses, but that’s the only options I had since those were the only courses I could take to get my philosophy degree this semester.

I do really like our room this year. True, it isn’t much different then the apartment we had last year (we only moved across the hall), but I like the set up we have here better. We no longer have to walk through our kitchen to get into our living room. When you come in the kitchen is in one direction and the living room is in the other. The trade-off for this better set up is that the living room is slightly smaller. We set it up nicely, however, so that we have a cube where the entertainment center is at one end and on the other three sides you have couches. There is just enough space inside the cube for us to put the DDR pads down when we want to play.

Well, it’s about time for me to head off to class. We’ll see how this first one goes. Three of my four professors this year I’ve never had before so I’m a little sketch on how they teach and what they’ll expect. This could make the first few weeks a little stressful as I won’t know how much effort to put into everything and I’ll probably go overboard in the direction of putting too much work in. Oh, ultimate frisbee also starts today so if you’re on campus and want to play come to the softball fields at St. John’s at 4:00 pm. Hopefully I’ll see you there!

No comments: