Tuesday, January 06, 2004

Wonder What's Next

Yes, yes, yes I already know that it’s been another long break between updates. I’m finally almost fully recovered from being sick. I just have a few coughing fits every now and then, but hopefully they’ll come to a close within the next day or two. I’ve also been trying to adjust to my complete change in lifestyle. Of course, I have been home every Christmas break, but this time it is different since it is permanent, or at least permanent enough to make an impact. Tomorrow I head back to work to start full time. No more spring breaks, no more days off because class is canceled, and no more summer vacations. I put my childhood, adolescence, and college years behind me. In front of me is my life transition phase—that time in my life where I find what I want to do with what remains of my life before I inevitably get married and start a family.

I can’t say that I’m even close to making a decision as to what direction I’d like to focus my life. I have a job for the moment, but is it something I’d like to do for the rest of my life, or at least for a good portion of my future? Uhhhh…..well, I really don’t know. I’d love to be a professor or teacher some day, but that requires graduate school. When can I do that? If I work for a few years to pay off my college bills and save some money up for grad school, by the time I’m ready to go back to hitting the books I’ll probably be getting married and wanting to start a family. Those two things—grad school and starting a family—sure don’t seem compatible to me and I know I’d be forced to choose one option over the other, and knowing how much family means to me I’m 93.59% sure right now that I’d choose family over school.

What else could I do? Become a writer? That sounds like fun to me since I love writing, but honestly, what would I do? Be a journalist? Journalism jobs are hard to come by and most don’t pay very well and I would like to be able to make enough money to live comfortably and not have to worry about each month’s bills. I’m going to be doing writing for Kingland since technical writing is part of my job, but is writing manuals or help files really the type of writing that I want to be doing for a living? No one actually wants to read a manual, but I want to create something people will want to read.

I’m not ready to plan my life. I’m sure most people coming out of college feel this same way, so how does everyone manage? Maybe I’ll magically figure it out as time goes on. Maybe not. I’ll have to see, but I know that I don’t want to waste my time and I want to do something valuable with it.

Since all of this thinking about my future is making me edgy, I’m not going to talk about it anymore. Instead I’ve put together my top 10 list of the best cds of 2003. They’re not listed in any particular order, but these are the best cds to have been released in the last year. Each one I’ve listened to many times over and I’m sure I will for many years to come. Anyhow, here they are:

My top 10 albums of 2003:
Ø Cold – “Year of the Spider”
Ø Lo-Pro – “Lo-Pro”
Ø Story of the Year – “Page Avenue”
Ø Stereomud – “Every Given Moment”
Ø Spineshank – “Self Destructive Pattern”
Ø Motograter – “Motograter”
Ø Cave In – “Antenna”
Ø Juliana Theory – “Love”
Ø Sevendust – “Seasons”
Ø Machine Head – “Through the Ashes of Empires”

Honorable mentions:
Ø Linkin Park – “Live in Texas”
Ø Further Seems Forever – “How to Start a Fire”
Ø Deftones – “Deftones”
Ø Evanescence – “Fallen”
Ø Thursday – “War All the Time”
Ø Boy Sets Fire – “Tomorrow Comes Today”

If you haven’t picked up or listened to any of those discs, I would highly recommend any of them to you. Each one is easily worth the $10-$15 you would spend on it, but if you can order them right from the band, that would be better since I despise the RIAA.

Ok, I’m going to try to keep the time between posts smaller now that I’m better, but as I adjust to my life back at home there might be some dry spells. I ask for your forgiveness ahead of time.

No comments: