Saturday, June 12, 2004

Liberal, My Ass

Check out my Morality! 54% liberal, 46% conservative. That's actually amazing in my book because I've always viewed myself as a strong conservative, but according to that survey I'm more liberal than I thought. Who could have guessed? Maybe I really don't know myself as well as I thought I did, or maybe I didn't answer the questions extreme enough. Either way, though, it was interesting to see that the results of the survey turned out different than I view myself.

No doubt Kristin will get a kick out of this because we often have arguments where she'll argue the liberal viewpoint and I'll argue the conservative viewpoint. It's odd, really, that as a couple we don't argue over common topics. Usually when I see couples arguing it's because one isn't paying enough attention to the other or one is cheating on the other or one isn't pulling their weight in the relationship or other such matters. Kristin and I never really argue about that stuff. No, instead we save our knock-down, drag-out arguments for sociopolitical battles and philosophical wars.

Instead of arguing about how I might not have appreciated a present she got me or something like that, we'll dive right into a heated debate about the differing necessary conditions for the proliferation of religion. I see the only reason for religion is our uncertainty about what happens after death. Kristin would argue that there are other necessary conditions that would cause the development of religion even if there was no worry about death. At this point the gloves come off and we get right into it.

There are some times where we'll get really involved and get mad at each other (usually because I'll be arguing more to simply disprove a point, or neither of us will concede to compromise), but most of the time we don't take it personally. We're just expressing our viewpoints. Besides, I'd rather argue about big topics like religion and such rather than petty little things.

Ok, well I'm getting a little anxious about having my MRI and ultrasound in less than 48 hours, and Kristin is up in St. Cloud at the moment at a bridal shower. In the last week, I've actually managed to watch three really good movies, at least in my opinion. If you get the chance, go check out Chronicles of Riddick in the theaters, but probably only if you are an action or sci-fi fan. If that doesn't do you, go out and rent Monster or Spirited Away. They are two of the best movies I've seen this year. Monster is a dark, ugly, twisted love story while Spirited Away is a oddly beautiful story of a fantasy world.

No comments: