Saturday, October 15, 2005

Acrobats, Frisbees, and Food, Oh My!

Finally, after these couple long and grueling weeks of work, I had a chance to go out and have a truly fun, laid back, and enjoyable day.  Lord knows I needed it!

So I did end up working a little during the morning yesterday, but once I finished that, the rest of the day was good, trust me.  I can only let work keep me chained down so much, even though I’m sure everything I needed to get done isn’t going to do itself over the weekend.  But that’s a worry for Monday morning.

With it being such a beautiful fall day, a round of disc golf was definitely in order.  I ended up shooting a round out at Hansen Park, a course I’ve never played before, but it was a very beautiful park.  With the leaves changing colors, a warm breeze blowing across the open areas, and mostly blue sky overhead it turned out to be one of the few wonderful fall days we get her in Minnesota.

Once disc golf was wrapped up, I grabbed some supper at a place called Panini, I believe. I should really have tried harder to remember the name of the place because they made a killer toasted wrap.  Imagine a Roli Poli wrap, twice as big, and toasted just so perfectly.  It was scrumptious, and more than I could eat in one meal (so I had breakfast for this morning as well!).

With a full belly, the main even of the night was yet to come—Cirque du Soleil.  I had never been to a Cirque du Soleil performance before, and all I really knew about them was from what I’d seen on brief clips shown on documentaries and the quintuplets episode of South Park.  I did know, however, that I wanted to go so when a friend invited me to come with her, how could I say no?  Wonderful company, a beautiful night, and a spectacular Cirque du Soleil show… what more could you ask for?

The performance we saw was Corteo, a performance about a dead clown and his trip through the afterlife.  Yes, I know it sounds morbid, but it was actually an amazing performance.  I’m quite the sucker for watching feats of human ability, and there were tons on display during the show.  Acrobats, dancing, juggling, aerial stunts… they had it all.  To top it off, the music was also very enjoyable and fit with the different scenes flawlessly.  So if you’ve never been to a Cirque du Soleil performance, I would highly recommend it.  They’ll be here in the Twin Cities until October 23rd, so catch them if you can.

In the end, as the day came to a close and I was driving back to Jared’s place, I had to smile and chuckle to myself at least a little—this was just the type of day I had needed for quite a while now.

No comments: