Thursday, October 27, 2005

Dwindling Traffic



Well, as you can see from the above chart, traffic through to my site has been on a sharp down swing. Thinking about it, though, that’s not unexpected. Over the last couple of weeks I was so busy with work and dealing with other issues, I haven’t had time to really put up any good content. A few small smatterings complaining about work, a couple cd reviews, and a story or two just don’t cut it if you want to keep visitors returning.

I might not lose reader’s who use RSS to keep up on what I do, as I know that I keep up on all of the blogs that I read by just keeping their RSS feed active in my aggregator, so even if the blog only updates once a week or even less, I will still always be alerted of new content and don’t have to visit the site until.

For people that don’t use RSS and just surf sites on a regular basis to catch new content, a lack of anything new will quickly lead to a site getting removed from the regular visitation rotation, and potentially from the bookmarks list altogether. I think that this is what has probably happened to this site over the last couple of weeks.

On the other hand, the number of people who keep up on this site via RSS is slowly growing, which is good. I think it’s a lot hard to lose a reader who uses RSS to keep up with your site than a traditional reader. So in an attempt to keep what readers I have left entertained, I’ll try to keep the content flowing now that I have a little bit of a lull at work. I’m sure my workload will pick up again soon, but until then, I’ll make the most of my free time that I can.

No comments: