Friday, September 22, 2006

The Office Premier

There's one show that I've really really really really been waiting to start back up again--The Office. The first two seasons, well, if you call it that since one season was only 6 episodes long, but anyways, the first two seasons were comedic genius. Sure, tons of people say the UK version is better, but I haven't seen it yet, so to me the US version is ridiculous in its awesomeness.

Last season ended on a real high note with many plot lines coming to a head and a few new ones being introduced. With those things in mind, I went into the season premier to find myself... not quite as impressed as before. However, because of the big money payoffs at the end of last season and the situations that were set up because of them, I had a feeling the show was going to need to attempt to find a new identity. No longer did you have the Pam/Jim dynamic or the Jim/Dwight dynamic or Pam soon to be getting married. The show was definitely going to need to find its rhythm again, and I think it might be a rough few episodes until it does.

There were a lot of funny moments, don't get me wrong, but the season 3 premier also came off as if the writers were trying a little too hard. Michael seemed a little extra moronic and backwater. The other characters didn't quite have the timing and "character" that they previously did. Thankfully there was Dwight. His character was as hilarious as ever. Two scenes in particular had me in stitches. The first was his remorse of Jim's leaving and the second was his use of his newly acquired "gaydar". Genius stuff.

I'm still stoked that a new season of The Office is coming my way once a week, but I'm going to temper my expectations for a bit as it seems like the show is going to be going through a few growing pains to get back to the level it was previously at.

No comments: