Friday, November 17, 2006

So Who Didn't See This Coming?

Today is the day that the Playstation 3 was unleashed to the masses. Getting one, however, is pretty much an impossibility right now unless you want to pay upwards of $3,000 or more on Ebay for one. Crazy, huh?

What's even more crazy is all of the violence that has surrounded the launch of the Playstation 3. From various articles found on the internet (like this one from MoneyCNN.com) there have been robberies, riots, fights, and even a shooting as people line up to get one of the few Playstation 3's that are available at most retailers. Most of the larger department and electronic stores (ie: Best Buy, Target, Circuit City, etc.) were only going to be stocking between 4 and 40 at each store. Most of the time it was in the 8-15 range.

Because of the limited number and the unlimited demand, I could see how that 16th or 17th person in line might get a little testy knowing they're right on the cusp of getting a Playstation 3 and, probably, access to a couple of grand pure profit in their pockets within a week or two once the item gets sold on Ebay.

I thought about camping out at the Target next to our house, but then didn't really want to (that and my roommates didn't want to either). It probably would have been worth it, however, to stand outside in the cold for 8-10 hours to make a couple grand. That's a pretty nice profit for a day's worth of work doing nothing but sitting in line reading a book, sleeping, or listening to an audiobook.

This all reminds me of when the Xbox 360 came out last year and how everyone was lined up for them. I wanted one so badly at the time and also figured that the claimed shortages were overhyped. So when I showed up at Target a few minutes after they opened looking for a 360, they told me that there was a line outside that morning and they were all gone within minutes. Eventually I got one from a friend who didn't want it any more and sold it to me with his PSP, but it really sucked not being able to get it when I wanted it.

I can only imagine all of the poor Sony fanboys that won't be getting their prized PS3 on launch day. I don't know, but after reading all of the "blah" and negative reviews about the games for the PS3, I'm not too sure it's worth all the money, waiting, or hype. It's like a way more expensive version of the 360 with a Blu-Ray player and wi-fi (if you get the $600 version, that is).

If you ask me, the Playstation 3 is probably going to do ok in the long run, but I think the Xbox 360 is poised to take the 6th gen video game crown. Mark my words, Xbox will be king by this time next year.

No comments: