Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Mini Nerd Gathering

It's been a year since I've been to a comic book convention, but I managed to take in the MicroCon over in St. Paul this last weekend. The MicroCon isn't as interesting as the FallCon that takes place each fall, but it's still decent to check out if you just want to get your feet a little wet in the comic book convention experience.

This year, as opposed to the last few, I managed to come away from the convention with very little money spent. I picked up a few trade paperbacks and that was it. With so many expenses related to buying a house and the decrease in reading time the last couple of months, I didn't have a wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Also, since I moved into my new place, I went through my comic book collection weeding out the chaff and organizing what I want to keep. In doing so, I realized how many comics I actually have, as well as how many I have that I haven't gotten around to reading. It used to be that I had a few trade paperbacks and maybe a short box or two of comics that were on my list to be read. After reorganizing everything, however, I found I have an entire shelf of trades and a couple of long boxes of comics to read.

Knowing how much I had at home, I really didn't have the desire to go digging through boxes for individual issues to try and put together runs of certain comics while at the convention. I knew I had plenty to read. I knew I didn't have as much time as I used to for reading. I knew I didn't have a lot of money to spend. So I mostly looked for a few cheap trades and also picked up a couple of Captain America trades that I've been looking for since they're now out of print. And I was fine with that. In the past if I came home with such a small load of loot, I would have been very disappointed. This time, however, it felt just fine.

No comments: